Friday, April 2, 2010

DooblyDoo....


So, in psychology class yesterday, we went over Maslows Hierarchy Of Needs again. It seems fairly valid. You must fulfill your physiological needs before fulfilling your safety needs, and so on and so forth. This makes me wonder.

My professor was talking about people who he thought were self-actualized. Very few people get to that stage. He mentioned Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, and Mother Theresa.

Now, I find one fatal flaw in this hierarchy of needs. You see, you must fulfill each level to pass to the next one. Why can you not be self-actualized while starving yourself? Would Gandhi not be considered self-actualized? He starved himself to protest against British Supremists. He put off one of our basic physiological needs, but still achieved greatness. Can you be self-actualized in a warzone? Of course you can! Many of the great war heros put off their own safety to save others.

As much as I believe that this pyramid of needs is a valid example on the needs of humans, it isn't as accurate as you would hope it to be.

I want to do great things. I want to make a difference in this world. And all the while, I will try as hard as possible to put off my physiological need of eating.

Join me in this journey

Anabelle

No comments:

Post a Comment